Australia - Snippets of Information
- Australia is the smallest inhabited continent of the seven continents
- Australia can also be considered the largest island in the world, though sometimes it is deemed a continent rather than an island
- Australia is divided into six states (Southern Australia, Western Australia, New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria and Tasmania) and two self-governing territories: Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory (which is around Canberra, the capital city).
- Two thirds of the country consists of desert landscape - referred to as 'outback'
- The Great Barrier Reef off Eastern Australia is the biggest coral reef in the world.
What is There to See in Australia?
I'm not sure where to start. Australia is such a great country to visit. The people are friendly and every time I have visited I have made good friends. The scenery is stunning. Australia is justly world famous for its natural wonders and wide open spaces, its beaches, deserts, "the bush", and "the Outback". The beaches are amongst the best in the world, as is the snorkelling.
Australian cities are comfortable, at times chic, at other times fascinatingly historic and there's some amazing food.
I have visited:
- Australia - Classic Tour - Sydney, Adelaide, Ayers Rock, Kakadu and The Barrier Reef
- Australia - East, West and Topside - down the west coast: Brisbane, Byron Bay, Sydney, Melbourne, The Whitsunday Islands, Across the top and down the east coast, Darwin to Perth
- Sydney (again)
- Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road
- North to south on the Ghan train
- Perth, Fremantle and Rottenest Island