Denmark - Geography
- Denmark consists of the Jutland Peninsula and 443 named islands. About 70 of these are inhabited,
- The Kingdom of Denmark also includes the self-governing territories of the Faroe Islands and Greenland.
- This is a relatively flat country with the highest natural point, Møllehøj, rising to just 170.86m and the country's average height above sea level is only 31 m.
- Denmark is part of the European Union, but the country has retained its own currency - the Danish krone.
Denmark - Snippets of Information
- First acknowledged in 1219, the Danish flag is the oldest state flag in the world
- International surveys and studies often rank Denmark as one of the happiest places in the world based on standards of health, welfare, and education, maybe because the Danes have a special word "hygge" for that cosy feeling of togetherness. It means relaxing in great company
- LEGO was invented in Denmark. Legoland and the company headquarters are located in Billund, on the Jutland peninsula.
Is Denmark Expensive to Visit?
Denmark has high wages and high taxes so is definitely more expensive than many southern European countries, but it is also less expensive than its northern Scandinavian neighbours, Norway and Sweden.
Is Denmark a Safe Country?
Denmark is generally considered an extremely safe country to visit. It is a country with almost no risk of natural disasters and with average crime rates. Nevertheless my purse was stolen in Copenhagen!